A proposal to hold this exhibition originated with the Free Library Committee in Inverness. A report on the subject was drawn up by them, approved by the Town Council, who in turn authorised the Provost to form Citizens Committee for the purpose of carrying out the exhibition. Circulars were sent to Highland proprietors and others who were known or suppossed to possess interesting relics of the past in order that they could be borrowed.
Lochiel, Lord- Lieutenant of the county, opened tha Exhibition on the 14th July 1903. On the same day the Town council conferred the freedom of the burgh on Lochiel in acknowledgement of his services in public life and on Lord Lovat for his gallant conduct with the Lovat Scouts in South Africa. The two upper storeys of the Free Library Buildings in the Castle Wynd were used for the Exhibition. In the four rooms, the uppermost were set aside for Jacobite pictures and relics and a collection formed by Mr. Leslie Fraser, whilst the lower rooms contained pictures of the town and Castle of Inverness. Maps of the Battlefield of Culloden and of Prince Charlie's wanderings were also found in this room. The staircase was fitted out with more pictures and arms.
A string band was engaged for their services during the Exhibition, which remained open from 14th July until the 19th September. There were also special lectures, various entertainments and one of the rooms was set aside as a tea room.